Lots of people have been asking me what made me want to start a blog…So, I thought today on this dreary, rainy, foggy Saturday I would talk about why I do what I do 🙂
Friday, I did a radio interview with Dakota Farm Talk. This is the second one I have done in about a month, both to talk about one main thing- CommonGround.
I was asked to become involved in CommonGround at the start of the year and honestly was so excited they would have me! I have been in South Dakota about 3 years and it’s time to start bringing my ‘A’ game.
Those of you who know me personally know how busy my life was in Indiana. I was always involved in something related to agriculture or kids. I was super involved and I loved volunteering my time. When I came to South Dakota I knew a total of about 9 adults. My husband’s family and his two best friends. Needless to say, I knew hardly anyone. Did I mention that I am a total people person?
The last year I have been slowly volunteering my time on campus when friends or professors have asked me to help out, but the “spark” of talking about my love of agriculture was missing.
CommonGround was the PERFECT chance to get started. When I first heard about blogging a year ago I was already hooked. But with lack of an idea on what to talk about I let the idea burn brightly and then smolder itself. Now, CommonGround has given me the perfect excuse.
Now that your interest is peaked…CommonGround.
CommonGround is funded together by the United Soy Bean Board and National Corn Growers Association. Both have started the program with one main purpose: To start a conversation with the American consumer.
In today’s world the American population is about three generations removed from the farm…which in turn creates issues like 5th graders still believing their chocolate milk comes from a brown cow…or that corn really takes 4 hours to reach maturity (because Farmville says so!).
Lots of consumers believe that farms are all owned by “Big Ag”, which gets the term factory farm circulating. I will say again- 98% of farms are family owned…are you sick of me mentioning that on my blog yet?? (USDA)
Another hot conversation with consumers is the price of food. In some cases the farmer gets the bad rap, but take a look at this chart. The American Farmer only actually gets less than 12% of the dollar you spend on food. Let’s take a look at the other 88% of that dollar and start finding a solution to why our food is so high. (USDA)
Plus, to throw in another grocery store fact for you: American consumers spend 10% of their income on food- that is the most affordable in the world, compared to 18 to 25 % in other countries. (FAO- Hands That Feed Us)
CommonGround’s main purpose isn’t to tell you what to eat or what to buy. Our main purpose is just to tell our story to you, a consumer just like ourselves. We want to share our stories of what its like to really be a family farm and hope you will become more knowledgable about our products and in turn will feel more confident buying those products at your local grocery store.
We are trying to put a face on agriculture so that you as a consumer can feel like you know the farmer that is providing you with safe and wholesome product.
All this led to the start of Stories Of A First Generation Farm Wife.
I believe that agriculture truly is the backbone of our nation and I feel confident in saying that our farm provides consumers with safe and healthy products.
See this video to learn more about CommonGround and to see the Iowa Launch of the program.